Synthetic Chemistry · Cambridge, Cambridgeshire
We are a start-up biotech company which is set to revolutionize gene synthesis. Our desktop DNA platform is based on a novel silicon chip which is capable of the independent control of many thousands of miniaturized reaction sites, allowing massive parallelism of the DNA synthesis process.
We are seeking a highly innovative synthetic organic chemist with the experience and drive necessary to develop our world-changing new technology. As a member of the chemistry team, you will play a key role in designing the novel and complex processes required for the synthesis of DNA on scale never previously achieved.
This is an incredibly exciting role at the cutting edge of biotechnology and synthetic biology, based in the world’s leading location for DNA research. You will be working as part of a closely-knit multidisciplinary team of engineers, physicists, surface chemists, software engineers and biologists, and so will possess a willingness to rapidly learn the new skills required to develop this radical new technology.
Our technology is moving to key phase of research development and commercialization and you will be involved in developing and executing efficient synthetic routes to our novel reagents. Alongside cutting edge synthetic chemistry research you will gain experience in a whole range of other areas such as surface chemistry and analysis, DNA sequencing, DNA functionalization, chemical engineering, analysis of reaction kinetics, automated reagent delivery and scale-up of chemical processes.
Your Skills and Experience
- Educated to PhD level in synthetic/medicinal chemistry.
- 2-3 years of relevant industrial/postdoctoral experience in optimizing synthetic chemistry processes would be beneficial.
- Experience of working with air- and moisture-sensitive chemistry.
- Experience in one or more of the following chemical research areas would be beneficial: process chemistry, drug discovery, phosphoramidite chemistry.
- Exceptionally strong synthetic chemistry knowledge, with a deep understanding of reaction mechanism and kinetics.
- Confident with a range of analytical methods including LC-MS and NMR.
- The desire to work in a highly dynamic scientific environment that requires continual enhancement of knowledge and skills at the interfaces of several scientific disciplines such as surface chemistry, biology, physics and engineering.
This unique opportunity to be part of a high-performance team comes with an attractive benefits package which include a contributory pension, private medical care, life assurance, as well as well as the opportunity to partake in the staff equity scheme.