Nuclera is a venture backed, rapidly scaling biotech company based in the Cambridge Science Park. We are developing a breakthrough protein and gene printing technology to enable rapid prototyping in the life sciences that accelerates drug discovery. Powered by operations in both UK and USA, Nuclera is entering a growth trajectory and is on track to commercialise the world’s first Desktop Bioprinter by 2022.
We are looking for a dynamic and experienced Marketing professional that can build and lead an effective marketing team in a fast-paced start up environment. The Marketing Director will be responsible for Nuclera’s marketing strategy and execution all through the lifecycle of the company. This is inclusive of defining a clear vision for the product to enter the market working together with the Director of Product, and collaborating with other Heads from engineering, R&D, sales and operations departments in order to ensure that the company’s messaging and consumer satisfaction goals are met.
Objectives and Responsibilities:
- Plan and execute an evidence-based marketing strategy for the organisation and for new and existing products or services
- White paper/tech note/application note coordination and drafting
- Oversee the implementation of the evidence-based marketing strategy
- Take ownership of the visual identity of the business by leading development and delivery of the brand proposition and strategy
- Set and administer an annual marketing budget
- Create and manage a calendar of events such as webinars, conferences and thought leadership contributions
- Create a system for collecting and qualifying leads to enable the sales team to progress and close deals
- Build and guide the day-to-day activities of the marketing team
- Continually review changes to the market, consumer trends and the activities of competitors, adjusting the marketing plan if necessary
- Provide tools and materials to enable the sales team to function effectively
- Manage and refine the organisation’s social media presence
- Manage and measure marketing campaign costs
- Report on the effectiveness of marketing campaigns using pre-determined KPIs
- Utilise data for marketing campaigns, interrogating the organisation’s databases and external data
- Conduct market research studies
- Negotiate with media agencies and secure agreements on the production of promotional materials
- Technical background or significant industrial experience in life science R&D, R&D tools, drug discovery, and/or protein science
- Strong project management and people management: You will oversee the marketing department and guide its day-to-day operations, so you’ll be recruiting, supervising and mentoring members of the marketing team as well as external consultants.
- Leadership: The role of Marketing Director is a creative one, so it’s crucial that you present yourself as a good communicator. You will be communicate directly with C-level and portray your vision and ideas to the executive team. You will also be leading and directing the work of others. Being a marketing director also involves constant networking and representing your organisation to outsiders.
- Data analysis: The role calls for continual analysis of market trends and the positioning of competitors. This analysis provides the foundation for marketing strategies. Much of this analysis is done by drilling down into data around customer behaviour and experiences, so you need to be up to speed on these techniques.
- Self starter: You’ll be rewarded with an exciting startup environment. This means that you would need to take the lead in putting relevant processes in place for efficient functioning of the marketing team. You should be someone who thrives in bringing structure and putting processes in place to create a path for others to follow.
- Education: A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in a natural science field of study. PhD or equivalent experience in biotechnology or a natural science field is advantageous.
- Experience and Track record: A suitable candidate will have at least 5 years experience in marketing or product management within a life science or R&D tools company. The candidate will also have a proven track record of running successful marketing campaigns, organising marketing events, generating quality leads for the sales team. New product launch experience will be a bonus. Industrial or academic experience in protein science, life science R&D tools, drug discovery is advantageous.
- Communication Skills: The Head of Marketing will also possess excellent communication skills. These are necessary because the position is one of a cross-functional nature that demands constant interactions and deliberations with other departmental heads. In addition to this, the Head of Marketing will constantly make presentations to the leadership team and stakeholders as well as representing the business and the product in external functions. All these roles require that the individual occupying this position have superior communication skills both in verbal and written form.
- People Skills: Due to the high level of interactions that is demanded by this position, candidates must have excellent people skills. This enables the creation of long-lasting working relationships with customers as well as facilitation of smooth collaboration and performance of functions internally.
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer a range of benefits for all of our colleagues, including:
- Private medical insurance and cash plan.
- Life assurance of 4x annual salary.
- 25 days’ annual leave.
- EMI-approved option scheme.
- Enhanced employer’s pension contributions.
- Enhanced maternity and paternity leave.
- Investment in professional development and learning.
- Access to amenities from the Cambridge Science Park.
- Fresh fruit, tea, coffee and snacks in the office.
- Monthly celebratory cakes and treats.
- Organized summer events for staff and their families.