Graduate Mechanical Design Engineer
Our client works with companies of every size, from start-ups to major players, and across a range of different industries, from medtech and pharma to telecoms, manufacturing and consumer products. Their goal is to provide an external resource that can slot seamlessly into a client’s project.
They are a small team of enthusiastic individuals whose goal is to deliver simple, elegant solutions to clients. They want every product to deliver more by using less. Strength comes from the sheer breadth of their creativity and experience, giving them a unique place in the Cambridge tech ecosystem.
Your primary responsibility will be the design, development and implementation of new client products within predefined budget and time constraints. Whilst having the full support of the teams’ experience, you will be expected to represent us in front of clients and deliver the excellent quality of work for which we are renowned.
As well as direct client projects, you may be seconded into client teams to support the delivery of larger-scale projects alongside other engineers. From this experience, you will widen your industry knowledge and will build you external network.
This role represents an excellent opportunity to join a progressive organisation, where you will be provided with the platform to grow and develop alongside the business.
- Design, development and implementation of technically innovative and commercially competitive new products.
- Perform rapid prototyping, prototype builds, functional lab testing and analysis of test data.
- Use tools such as tolerance analysis, FMEA/DFMA and computer simulation to ensure robust designs.
- Production of manufacturing and technical drawings and BOMs.
- Produce and maintain technical documentation, such as CAD drawings, costing data, technical construction files, design calculations, bills of materials, technical specifications, marketing information and test data.
- Ensure all designs comply with the required contract specifications.
- Liaise with clients, capture their requirements and prepare proposals
- Work with external manufacturing partners and other suppliers.
Skills & Experience
- A 2:1 degree or equivalent in Mechanical Engineering, Product Design, or related discipline (or be in your final year of a degree course).
- Strong creative and technical abilities in concept generation, engineering analysis and detail design.
- You will have an enthusiasm for innovation and creativity, demonstrated by evidence of proactive and commercially relevant development.
- Ability to work creatively and collaboratively in a team.
- Experience in 3D CAD (SolidWorks and Creo desirable).
- Knowledge of drawing and design standards and a competent understanding of design for manufacture.
- Understanding of a wide range of manufacturing techniques, materials and assembly processes.
- IT skills – including Microsoft Office.
- Good problem-solving skills and understand the fundamentals of root cause analysis.
- You will be able to plan and prioritise, work to deadlines and under pressure.
- Some industry experience within an engineering role, or previous internship.
- Knowledge of developing plastic injection moulded components and enclosures for mass manufacture is desirable.
- PDM system experience.
- Software coding experience such as VBA or Python would be advantageous.
- Competitive salary
- Enhanced pension scheme
- 21 days holiday, increasing 1 day per year up to 25 days (plus bank holidays)
- In-house training and career development
- Regular performance appraisals and annual pay reviews
For more information or to apply, please contact – [email protected]