Financial Controller Job Description
Responsible to the Financial Director for the functioning of the Accounts Department, with day-to -day responsibility for the work of the accounting staff. Prime responsibility for the maintenance of accurate accounting procedures to ensure that the company’s activities are accounted for within Sage and their reporting framework. This is a really exciting time to join our client during rapid growth and becoming more complex in the process. As head of the department, you will be a member of the Heads of Department Group with a key role in the general management of the operation.
The current Finance Director is extending their current role to encompass the increasingly complex commercial activities of the group. In due course they will be concentrating on the commercial role. This will give the new Financial Controller, once he/she has assimilated the core role of financial controller, and consolidated the department and its function, the opportunity to widen the scope of the job and take on greater responsibility. Our client has a track record and preference for promoting from within.
- Management Accounts
- Produce monthly Management Accounts, accurately reflecting the trading position, and following checking procedures to ensure the data is reliable and accurate.
- Proactive reporting of implications of figures and anomalies to FD and other managers
- Margin analysis
- Stock analysis
- Production of year-endfigures alongside the Financial Director
- Management and accountability of Sage and the systems which feed into it.
- Management of customer and supplier accounts
- Credit Control and Cash management
- Responsible for the procedures for transactions so that debtor and creditor ledgers are accurate.
- Management, through direct reports, of the creditor and debtor ledgers (UK and overseas) so that agreed payment terms are monitored and adhered to.
- Overall management of bank accounts, to include foreign currencies and invoice finance facilities in multiple currencies
- Cash forecast planning and reconciling, with weekly team meetings to ensure accuracy and full vision on upcoming activity and to ensure that the treasury function provides appropriate financial arrangements.
- Forecasting & Budgeting
- Production of the annual budget, connecting with other departments to gather information to compile figures.
- Reforecasting budgets intermittently to provide insight into actual activity, and to link to cash planning.
- Analysis of actual and forecasted budget trends to advise management on areas that would require attention.
- Line Management
- Line management of an Accounts Assistant and Credit Controller including the appraisal, development and allocation of work on a daily basis.
Skills and Experience required
- Good and recent knowledge of Sage 50
- Accounting qualification
- Must have previous experience in organisations which have traded in products and dealt with stock and assemblies.
- Must have some international trading experience so comfortable with dealing with overseas customers and suppliers.
- Will have worked in company of comparable size.
- Excellent attention to detail, reporting and communication skills.
- A passion for getting the numbers right, understanding what they signify and the ability to communicate how they can be improved.
- A passion for using what the numbers tell us about the business to bring about improvements.
- Ability to train and enthuse the team working with them and set and demand high standards from them
- Personal integrity and understanding of the confidential nature of the role
- Ambition to see the role and company develop and to grow with it.
Salary range: £50 -£65K with prospects of substantial growth through promotion.